Confusion surrounds new Ross Barkley contract

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley enters into the final year of his contract shortly.

With a new deal yet to be penned, speculation is mounting that the England international could seek a move away from Merseyside.

Everton boss Ronald Koeman has confirmed that the 23-year-old has received an offer from the club but is yet to commit to an extension.

He said: “I think it’s his responsibility and the responsibility of his agent to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ because that’s what the club needs to know because we can’t wait until the last moment.

“It’s not good for the player and it’s not good for the club.”

Koeman also confirmed that he and club Chairman Bill Kenwright have held a meeting to discuss the situation.

Barkley was recently involved in a Liverpool nightclub bust up with an unnamed man and fans are beginning to speculate that the midfielder could want a move away from the city where he attracts so much attention.

In six months time, Barkley will be able to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with other clubs ahead of a potential bosman move next summer. Everton, although desperate to keep hold of the player, will be keen to cash in on Barkley if the alternative means losing him for nothing.

The England international could attract interest from clubs at the top end of the Premier League table, especially if he’s available on a free transfer.

Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal have all been linked with a move for Barkley in the sections of the press.

Advertisements

Preview of Liverpool’s premier league trip to West Ham United

Roberto Firmino and Lucas Leiva are doubts for Liverpool’s premier league clash against West Ham United on Sunday.

Reds’ boss Jurgen Klopp revealed in a press conference today that the Brazilian duo could both return to training before the fixture, but that they are unlikely feature at the London Stadium.

Lucas, who is Liverpool’s longest serving player, could train today after being hindered by a muscle problem. Firmino is likely to make a return tomorrow.

The 49-year-old German told the press: “Firmino felt a muscle so we have left him out of training. Lucas felt two different muscles.

“These players want to play. Lucas could be able to train today. For Roberto, it could be Saturday. We have to wait and give him as much time as possible.”

Klopp also revealed that he is optimistic that Daniel Sturridge and Adam Lallana could both play a prominent role after their respective injury troubles.

Reds’ fans will be hopeful that their side can pick up all three points in the capital to maintain distance between themselves and their top 4 rivals, Manchester United and Arsenal.

Meanwhile for the Hammers, former Liverpool striker Andy Carroll has been ruled out. Midfielders Cheikhou Kouyate and Mark Noble, the captain, are both also sidelined.

West Ham are currently 12th in the Premier League table; both safe from relegation and unable to qualify for European football next season with two games remaining.

 

 

Ross Barkley appears battered and bruised in first pictures since nightclub bust-up

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has been contacted by police after he was the victim of an “unprovoked attack”.

Merseyside Police are investigating after footage circulating on social media showed the 23-year-old being hit in the face by a man in a bar.

The attack was not reported to police and Barkley was not seriously injured.

 

JHP_MDM_120417BARKLEY_06
The Premier League footballer was the victim of an ‘unprovoked’ attack when he was punched in the face (Photo: Daily Mirror)

Liverpool bar Santa Chupitos, where the incident took place, said the member of staff responsible for leaking video footage had been sacked.

Barkley, who trained as normal with his team-mates on Monday, has played 22 times for England and was part of England’s most recent set-up.

Everton+Training+Press+Conference+pxR4kXlUvi4l
Barkley trains with Everton teammates (Source: Gareth Copley/Getty Images Europe)

The Liverpool-born player joined Everton as an 11-year-old and has made 173 first-team appearances.

A force spokesman said inquires into the incident were “ongoing”.

Steven Gerrard to manage Liverpool U18s next season

Steven Gerrard is set to take charge of Liverpool’s U18 team from next season.

The Reds legend has been working at the club’s Academy since January having taken a role across numerous age groups, but will take over the U18s in the summer

The 36-year-old, who has made no secret of his desire to enter full-time management, rejoined Liverpool in January to take up an academy coaching role at Kirkby.

thumb_33240_default_news_size_5

Liverpool’s longest-serving captain, who won 114 caps for England, called time on his playing career four months ago when he left MLS side LA Galaxy after 18 months with the club.

Following his retirement, the former England captain turned down the chance to become MK Dons manager last November following talks with chairman Pete Winkelman, saying the challenge to replace Karl Robinson at the League One side came “a bit too soon”.

But now Gerrard, who made over 700 appearances for The Reds, is set to take the first step in his coaching career by taking charge of the Liverpool youngsters.

Gerrard’s impending appointment will trigger a reshuffle at the academy’s Kirkby base, with current Under-18 coach Neil Critchley potentially moving up to take charge of the Under-23s.

Manchester rival Liverpool for 2022 Commonwealth Games

Manchester has emerged as rivals to Liverpool for the 2022 Commonwealth Games after it was revealed the African City of Durban could no longer host the event due to financial difficulties.

The city of Liverpool was previously preparing a bid for the 2026 games, but are now thought to be prepared to take on the challenge four years earlier than expected.

Screen-Shot-2016-08-02-at-21.19.24.png
The likes of Jamie Carragher , Katarina Johnson-Thompson and Tony Bellew are among the sporting figures who have offered their support to Liverpool’s 2026 bid. 

However, the Manchester Evening News has reported that Manchester are already in deep discussions with the government about hosting the Commonwealth Games – two decades since it was last held there.

Liverpool Major Joe Anderson wrote to sports minister Tracey Crocuh, and said Liverpool would have “no problem” being ready for the Games by 2022.

Speaking to the Liverpool Echo, he said: “We knew that Durban was in trouble so we met with government officials last week in which we made it clear we would be very keen to host the games in 2022.

“I have also written to Tracey Crouch and assured her that we would be ready for that date – I am very confident that the city will be able to cope with the demands of holding the games then.

“These games give us a great opportunity to regenerate the north of Liverpool and create a lasting legacy.”

The Commonwealth Games Federation will need to consider all options before making a decision, but Joe Anderson believes Liverpool is in “a good position” to host them.

South African sports minister Fikile Mbalula told press agency Reuters: “We gave it our best shot but we can’t go beyond. If the country says we don’t have this money, we can’t.”

After the Commonwealth Games Federation made the final decision to withdraw Durban as the host city in 2022.

 

 

Liverpool FC ban The Sun newspaper from the club premises

The_Sun_Liverpool

Liverpool Football Club have revoked The Sun’s access to all club premises; including their stadium, Anfield, and their training ground, Melwood.

The ban is the result of The Sun’s coverage of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster which resulted in the death of 96 Liverpool fans.

The decision to ban the paper has came after club officials met with members of the Hillsborough Family Support Group; an organisation that represents the families of the victims.

Reporters from The Sun will now be unable to report on club matches directly from Anfield, and their access to both the players and the manager, Jurgen Klopp, has been cut off.

Whilst the HFSG are delighted with the club’s decision, The Sun has responded by labelling the ban “bad for fans and bad for football”.

Email us your opinion: NewsLiverpool17@outlook.com or tweet us: @NewsLiverpool17.
Alternatively, leave us a comment below.